Sunday 13 April 2014

Top 5 Toys - treblekicker

This selection from treblekicker features beautiful toys framed within some really nice photographs! Check out more of his shots over here. Take a look at his top picks and hear what he has to say about them below..

"What factors did I consider when trying to come up with my Top 5? None; I just walked around the rooms that are home to my collection and picked what I felt most connected to. I’m sure my list would change with each pass through my collection. However, a favorite toy always has at least 2-3 of the following qualities:

- Great sculpt
- Strong paint application
- Usually a personal connection with the artist
- Some level of goofiness"

5) Stegoforest by Jesse Narens (Rainbow Splatter 1-off)

"I’ve loved this concept ever since it emerged from Jesse’s mind and am so excited that his creation is finally coming to life in vinyl after a long long journey. Jesse’s a great guy and it’s been great watching his style develop over the years. I’m eager to see what he has in store next. I also love the sculpting by Beth Graves; she’s brought some great creations of Jesse’s and Bwana’s to life."

4) Boss Carrion by Paul Kaiju (Paulkaiju x Blobpus)

"I had only seen photos of Paul’s amazing sculpts and Blobpus’s paint applications before having the good fortune of winning the Paulkaiju X Blobpus Boss Carrion Lottery in early 2011. It opened my eyes, freed my mind, expanded my horizons etc etc to a completely different aesthetic of toy than what I was collecting at the time. There was no turning back."

3. Hujili’s Ghost by Le Merde (Halloween Hujili’s Ghost)

"Mike Kelly is a fox. Le Merde’s stuff has always been fun to play with & collect. Hollis and Bangal Price, Hujili’s Ghost, and even the beloved Burgerbuns make up a hefty chunk of my overall collection (give us more soon please Mike!), but I chose this biggie Ghost to represent them all because of his size and colours. And what’s not to love about those Hedoran appendages?"

2. Deathra by Gargamel (Thrashout 6th Anniversary)

"There’s just something undeniably terrific about all of Gargamel’s toys, and Deathra is no exception. I love its pure, unbridled ferocity and timeless feel. With articulation galore, it has a true toy feel to it, and is great (and substantial) to handle."

1. Globby by Bwana Spoons (1-off #1)

"Globby will always be in my Top 5. He will probably always be #1 actually. I love the sculpt, I love the vibe, I love how well he translates to pocket size. Bwana, to me, is this fantastic (rainbow?) bridge who connects the qualities of toymakers and artists that I most admire from the East and West."

No comments:

Post a Comment