Monday 14 April 2014

Top 5 Toys - hellopike

Toy customizer hellopike drops by with a great mix of toys in his Top 5 list!

5) Snake Eyes with Timber, GI Joe 1985 by Hasbro

"I had a lot of GI Joe toys as a kid, but I never had this Snake Eyes as a kid.. I was a huge fan of the comic and cartoon, and this version of Snake Eyes was my favourite, but I had missed its run in the toy stores. I remember saving flag points in the hopes that one day Hasbro would offer a mail away offer for "The Second Snake Eyes" (because this was the second version of the character released) , but it never happened. It was always seemed like the same bunch of figures you could order: Cobra Commander (hooded version), Jinx, The Fridge, Serpentor... but never Snake Eyes. Eventually when I was old enough to get a job, and ebay became a thing, I picked up this one on the secondary market. This was the toy I never had but always wanted."

4) G1 Optimus Prime 1984 (Takara Reissue 2000)

"Optimus Prime, like Snake Eyes is one of my favorites from my childhood that lasts to this day. I had an original Optimus Prime as a kid but eventually it broke and was thrown away by my parents... But as I grew out of toys (briefly for about 3-4 of my teenage years) I would still think about Optimus Prime; I actually used to dream about going into a toy store and finding a new, pristine Optimus Prime on the shelf... but then I'd wake up and be disappointed. Ebay was not help like it was for Snake Eyes, because a good condition G1 Prime used to fetch hundreds of dollars which I just didn't have in the late 90s. Then in 2000 Takara announced they were going to reissue Optimus for the Japanese 15th anniversary of Transformers and my dream would finally come true. Man was it sweet finally having the toy of my dreams again."

3) Rangeas by T9G

"The first piece of Sofubi on my list. He is just my favorite actual "Kaiju" toy. He doesn't seem evil to me, more of a benevolent Monster. Kind of an Alice in Wonderland meets Where the Wild Things Are monster. I just love those goofy eyes and crazy wide grin... everything about this toy is great. One day I'd like to be able to paint an official run of these guys. So if anyone can get me in touch with T9G, drop me a line!"

2) Skullwing by Secret Base / Astro Zombies / Pushead

"Anyone who knows me and my toy collecting habits know that the Skullwing is my favorite, favorite toy. This is the toy the lead me into collecting Sofubi/kaiju/vinyl toys. Specifically it was this release in particular, the "Horror Wing". I was building a prop replica Boba Fett costume and searching the internet for reference material on some part of the costume when I happened upon the super7 website... Down towards the bottom of the page it had "featured items" and I saw this fantastic toy and it just clicked something about the skull with the red star sold me and since then I've been hooked. through that I learned about the other secret base figures, and skullbrain, and it all snowballed from there."

1) LEGO (specifically the Classic Space theme, Star Wars theme and now the Marvel Superheroes theme)

"LEGO is the greatest toy that ever was or ever will be. No further explanation needed. ;) My personal favorite growing up was the Space them. Then when Star Wars was licensed back in the 90's it got even better. Now we also have licensed Marvel and DC sets... It's like another toy dream come true!"

No comments:

Post a Comment