Saturday 19 April 2014

Top 5 Toys - animator

David from Los Angeles, California sent in his toy photos with some great commentary! Take 5 with animator's Top 5!

5) Gamera by Toygraph

"Number 5 was the hardest to decide. I still had several Gargamel, M1, Bwana Spoons, and Tim Biskup toys I wanted to include. In the end, it came down to Toygraph making so many amazing Gamera toys. Gamera, probably because it's a turtle, is a favourite Kaiju of mine. These are all very much toys, stylized well, somewhat geometric but still very organic, a tiny bit cute, and painted incredible. The satin finish on the standard size has to be 1 of the best painted toys I own."

4) Tetsujin28 by M1

"I'll put out a disclaimer that I'll buy almost any T28 toy, but M1 makes the best. It looks the least like any Gigantor cartoon, it is super chunky, and the big version literally makes me feel kid sized when playing with it. The colours used on all of these are perfect and M1 vinyl always has this strange thick waxy feel to it, it's really the best. The character is really an icon that is captured perfectly in this toy."

3) Gacha Series by Gargamel

"Gargamel is arguably my favorite toy company. Every sculpt they make is incredible, including all the artists they collaborate with. I love Zagoran and Deathra, and I'm sure they will make a lot of top 5 lists, but these Gachas are just so fun. Different arm attachments, robot guts, and the perfect size you can really play with. It is the only sculpt that I am actively trying to be a completist with."

2) Mockbat by PaulKaiju

"I find myself collecting a lot of bat toys, and I've already mentioned my love of turtles, so this toy is pretty much perfect. It is my favourite toy made in the last 5 years. It is a really great mix of cute, evil, weird, and goofy. It has so much personality and expressiveness throughout a great sculpt. I'm sure all of Paul's toys will be spread through a lot of top 5 lists, Mockbat is the best though."

1) Pollard by Tim Biskup

"Tim Biskup's work got me into collecting vinyl toys, which lead me to Gargamel and everything else. All of his toys(and art) are great, I collect them all. Biskup's colour is mind blowing. It's so simple, but crazy and complex, and so effortless in application. The Big Pollard sculpt is my favourite though. It's so clean and linear but still very organic. Everything about it screams simplicity, yet it has so much personality and goofiness in it's proportions and stupid grin."

No comments:

Post a Comment