Tuesday 15 April 2014

Top 5 Toys - Adam / Cop A Squat Toys

Adam from Cop A Squat Toys in Salem, Virginia dropped off a great group of toys for today's Top 5 List!! Check out his resin and vinyl toys here.

5) LEGO

"Although the VW Bus is pictured here, I love ALL Lego. There are endless possibilities and now with the Lego Digital Designer app, you can pretty much go wild and build whatever you want. I love that you can purchase the individual pieces so you can actually design and build your own creations. My wife and I started working on a modular Lego town. Our first pick up was the Parisian Restaurant. With just under 3000 pieces, it's been a blast watching the building take shape."

4) Baltan by Bullmark

"I can't pinpoint any specifics as to why I like this one so much... It's just classic Japanese toy design with loose spray and all around awesomeness. I love most Baltan toys, but this giant Bullmark sculpt is a favorite for sure."

3) Mushroom Soup Man by Yamomark

"There's something about the mutant natural objects that makes these guys great! I appreciate the mutations in most of the Yamomark toys. It's the little things in the MSM that really catch my attention; multiple types of mushrooms, snail on the shoulder, belt buckle which emulates the style of classic Japanese heroes. I also particularly like the fact that this toy is organic, right down until you get to the boots. It's just so weird, which is true to Yamomark's style."

2) Mad Baron by Zollmen

What can I say?! It's Zollmen! This is such a wonky take on a classic design. I've always been drawn to robot themed toys and this one is very well executed. For me, the variation of the helmet with the robotic head and all the fine detail really moves this toy to be second on my list.

1) Astro Mu 5 by Nakajima

The Astro Mu are by far my favorite. I'm obsessed with these nodders. The small details in the masks, the tinsel in the arms, and the fact that the weapons and boots are all unique really draw me in. I am a sucker for the detail. I think the simplicity in the design is what makes these so great. And the fact that some kid in Japan played with these toys 30+ years ago is really cool to me. The Astro Mu was originally made to be a toy versus being an "art toy", which appeals to the kid in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment